Pink UK home page
add gay venue to Pink UK add gay pride/event to Pink UK create and publish a banner advert

help with immigration to the UK for a Syrian friend

You will need to Login In order for you to start a new thread or replay to a thread
Strictly no selling of Medication, and anyone who posts illegal content or counterfeit goods will be reported to the police.


help with immigration to the UK for a Syrian friend

I am dealing with a difficult situation and I am hoping for some advice or to find someone in the same situation.
I am a 32 year old male living in the UK for three years now. I am originally from Romania. Before coming to the UK, I spent 3 years in Iran studying for a Master's degree. There, I met a guy and we became very good friends. It wasn't anything sexual, but we bonded really strongly and remained in touch ever since I left Iran four years ago. He is from Syria and he is studying in Iran as I did. Seeing that the situation in Syria is only getting worse, he absolutely cannot go back there, for political as well as gay human rights reasons. His time for studying is coming to an end soon and he has to go somewhere, as I said, going back is not an option for him. Some of his friends went back and they disappeared, and they weren't even gay. I really want to have him here with me, but I don't know how to bring him here. I could support both of us until he found a living. I just don't know how to get a visa for him, I'm not yet a citizen of the UK. Also, if he does get here somehow, I don't want him to be deported, especially not to Syria!
Any advice would be really helpful, I don't even know to which associations or human rights groups to appeal. I wrote to some gay groups, but they can't help.
Thanks a lot guys

10 Mar 2018 15:32



RE: help with immigration to the UK for a Syrian friend

Hi radubradu,

Applying for asylum is a possibilty, in fact a few years ago a gay Syrian Kurd won a legal battle in the UK and was allowed to stay. The link is down below to the news story about it. Additionally, if your friend is able to study at a UK university he may be entitled to a Tier 4 (General) student visa. I will also attach a link to the UK governments asylum page. Additionally, contacting the British Embassy in Tehran may provide further help to you, I will put the link below for that too. I hope this helps out a bit, I'm sorry some parts of the world still treats us like second class citizens, it's not fair.

15 Mar 2018 01:04

Post your reply

You will need to Login before you can reply to this message
Share  | share this page on twitter  | share this page on linkedin  | Pink UK's FB group