Pink UK home page
add gay venue to Pink UK add gay pride/event to Pink UK

Survey of self image and drug use

You will need to Login In order for you to start a new thread or replay to a thread
Strictly no selling of Medication, and anyone who posts illegal content or counterfeit goods will be reported to the police.

Andera18

Survey of self image and drug use

Hello, I am a graduate diploma student of psychology at London South Bank University. I am carrying out a study to determine if there is a significant association between recreational drug use by gay men and how they feel they are perceived by other men on the gay scene. I have created an online survey with questions designed to assess participants' views on these topics. The identity of all participants remains anonymous to all, including myself. I would welcome the participation of all interested in taking part. The survey can be accessed at the following address: http://bit.ly/2AJ6zNN

09 Jan 2018 14:06

Replies

Lilooooo

RE: Survey of self image and drug use

Study swap?

http://www.alittlelab.com/expts/2017/projects/ilona/start.htm

24 Jan 2018 17:59

Andera18

Happily, I'll do your survey if you complete mine. Many thanks.

24 Jan 2018 21:25

Andera18

Happily, I'll do your survey if you complete mine. Many thanks.

24 Jan 2018 21:28

Andera18

Oops I suspect you're outside my study pool, but I'm happy to complete yours in any case.

24 Jan 2018 21:29

Andera18

I want to say a very big THANK YOU to all who took the trouble and time to complete my survey. I can see that there are still a fair number of people who are in the process of filling in the questionnaire. I'm being advised that I'm going to have to close it in the next day or so in order to tabulate the results. So if anyone is still working on it and wants their data included could you complete it as quickly as you are able please? FYI, I hope to have the study written and signed off in the second half of May and will share my findings on all of the forums (including this one) where I have enlisted participants to take part. Thanks once again.

07 Mar 2018 16:58

Andera18

Results are in of survey of image and drug use

'I have completed the study in which I asked for volunteers to participate in a questionnaire of social activities, use of recreational drugs and self-image.
Existing studies tend to confirm the notion that recreational drug use among gay men (which is usually higher than in the general population) may be affected by stresses and anxieties associated with belonging to a sexual minority group in a larger heterosexual society. The purpose of this study was to determine whether any anxieties that gay men potentially face when socializing on the gay scene also encourages them to use recreational drugs as a means to cope with being negatively assessed by fellow gay men.
One surprise was that the sample did not use drugs at a higher rate than would be expected from participant profile. This meant I could only analyze data on alcohol and cannabis use, not the wider range of party drugs.
Higher levels of alcohol use were associated with going to pubs and bars. No surprise! However, alcohol use was not associated with any of the other measures included, self-esteem, body image and fear of negative views of others. Gay men appear not to be using alcohol to cope with negative feelings about themselves. More frequent use of cannabis was associated with lower scores on the body fat measure and lower scores on fear of negative evaluation. This suggests cannabis use is not related to coping with poor body image or worries about perceptions by others. Quite the opposite. Cannabis use is more frequent among people not concerned about body fat or the opinion of peers. One final thing to say is that participants reported very high scores on how comfortable they feel about their sexuality and gender identity. This study also revealed a potential change in the social activities of gay men. With rapid changes in technology and the growth of social media, face-to-face social groups and activities may not be as important now that people create and get involved in online communities.'

15 Dec 2018 22:30

Post your reply

You will need to Login before you can reply to this message

Share  | share this page on twitter  | share this page on linkedin